Brookside Kenya Limited is offering free milk to the public effective July 31st, 2020. The free milk is available for consumption at the premises only as the public is prohibited from carrying the free products home. The management at the dairy firm said the company is responding to the ban on consumption of alcoholic drinks by the Ministry of Health in an attempt to curb the spread of coronavirus pandemic that causes the Covid-19 disease. The free milk is available across the country at Brookside Kenya Limited branches except in Kajiado County.
The free milk drive is available from 10 am to Mid-night at the following locations:
- Green Spot Garden
- Club Metro Nairobi
- Club Hypnotica
- Club Dimples-Nakuru
- Utugi Club-Nakuru
- Kasa Blanka-Mombasa
- Club Da Place
- Signatur and Nyanza club all in Kisumu
Once again, the free milk services will not be available in Kajiado County.
On Monday July 27, 2020, president Uhuru Kenyatta banned the sale of alcoholic beverages in restaurants and bars due to the surge in covid-19 cases in the country. The head of state authorized all the state machinery to enforce the order in all areas of their jurisdiction by arresting anyone who violates the directive regardless of their rank or job title in society. This is in response to a section of politicians who had violated the programs set up in order to prevent the spread of covid-19, specifically social distancing and a ban on overcrowding during social events such as funerals and birthday parties.
Brookside Kenya Limited: Company Profile
Brookside Kenya Limited also known as Brookside Dairy Limited was founded in Ruiru, Kiambu County in 1993. The company deals with milk and milk products including cheese, butter, ice-cream, yogurt and cheese in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda.
The company is owned by president Uhuru Kenyatta’s family although in 2014, French dairy firm Danone bought 40% stake in Brookside Kenya Limited. While not a controlling stake but a very significant ownership by a foreign firm in Kenya. Five years early, in 2009, Abraaj Capital (a company in the Middle East) paid US$ 18.7 for a 10% stake at Brookside.
Since its inception, Brookside Kenya Limited has seen significant growth brought about by the company’s binge acquisition of other smaller firms in the dairy products industry in Kenya, Ethiopia and Nigeria. For example in 2015, Brookside Kenya Limited paid Ksh.3.5 billion for a 51% controlling stake in Sameer Agriculture & Livestock Limited, which is a dairy processing firm based in Kampala, Uganda. The other 49% stake in Sameer Agriculture & Livestock Limited is owned by the government of Uganda led by president Yoweri Museveni.
Brookside Kenya’s competitors include KCC (rebranded as New KCC), Highland Creamers & Food, Meru Dairy Cooperate, Githunguri Dairy Cooperative (owners of the Fresha Milk brand) and Delmonte (which manufactures fruit flavored yogurt).